10.15.2009

home is where the heart is...


Spontaneity. I'm not usually very spontaneous, and yet I'm not much of a planner either. I guess I just like to go with the flow of things. Perhaps... it's possible I can be a little too easy going. I don't get worked up about things. I like to go out, go a little crazy, but honestly, a nice quiet night at home is just as fun for me. AND it comes without the morning after consequences...
However, this Sunday my boyfriend and I drove to Ohio to visit the family.

It was absolutely crazy. We were actually in the car longer than we were at home. I would say an eleven hour drive is more than just a stroll through the park.
So why did we do it?
There isn't much to do in Ohio, nothing that can't be done in New York that is.
There isn't much of anything except family, friends, memories (aka my past).
It's definitely odd for me to think of Ohio as a thing of the past, I spent 22 years there. I've only spent one here in New York, and yet, (even though it's not perfect) I've already considered it my new home.
My family did a good job of embarrassing me with their crazy antics, strange humor, and obnoxious behavior, but at least they didn't have any ridiculous stories of me to tell. Maybe they've just forgotten them all or maybe they didn't want to scare him away too soon.
Anyhow, it was too short of a trip but monumental in its own way. Although we don't always get along, and I'm not always the best at keeping in touch, no matter where my new home resides, Ohio, no matter how embarrassing, will always have a bit of my heart. It has too much of my history to just sweep under the rug.
Taking me home, just because we could, meant more to me than I can explain.



No comments: